Tickets Released (max. 2 per order):
Round 1 – 03/03/18 at 10:00.
Round 2 – 06/03/18 at 19:00.
Round 3 – 12/03/18 at 19:00.
As part of the Craft Council’s Hey Clay! weekend Sunken Studio are hosting a rumbustious day of clay – a free happening for adults at The Event Space at Duke Studios, Leeds. Explore divergent approaches to using clay: build big, take risks, play!
We’re going to encourage material exploration on a large scale but with limitations – discover how to maximise your options by minimising choices. We think constraints are great – they encourage material and technical experimentation, idea generation and help exercise lateral thinking and problem-solving skills.
We’ll introduce a range of hand-building techniques then you’ll be set a problem to solve. You might work alone or join forces to become a formidable cohort of makers, architects, builders… cut, configure, construct…
Finesse is key – how it’s made, stability and craftsmanship matter just as much as the challenge!
When the session is over the works will be dismantled and, where possible, the clay reused. We want to celebrate clay and hand-building techniques so let’s ignore some of the rules associated with firing.
This session is led by Sunken Studio’s Director and Ceramist – Rebecca Catterall.
What you need to know
This experience is for adults (18+) only.
It’s standard workshop practice to wear flat, sturdy shoes with covered toes. Please protect your feet.
Rings and long fingernails can be problematic when working with clay – please consider this when booking.
Terms and Conditions
This is a free event made possible with support from Leeds Inspired and Sunken Studio.
Leeds Inspired is part of the city’s cultural programme that celebrates arts events and projects throughout the year, supporting high quality, accessible cultural experiences for Leeds’ residents and visitors. Founded in 2012, Leeds Inspired supports culture in the city through grants schemes, commissions and a ‘What’s On’ events website. Leeds Inspired is part of Leeds City Council.
Our aims for this event are to:
- Give people the chance to try something for free that they may want to pursue more regularly
- Create opportunities for residents across the city to engage in cultural activity.
- Reach new audiences.
- Facilitate extraordinary interactions with materials – particularly clay.
- Provide insight into the creative process.
- Disrupt people’s preconceptions of crafts and pottery.
- Promote our vision and values.
- Contribute to the creative diversity of Leeds and creative profile of the city.
- Collaborate with Duke Studios and begin to explore perceptions of craft and design.
- Be part of a national campaign.
- Host a workshop unencumbered by external expectations and constraints on resources.
- Test new approaches to engaging audiences.
- Help Sunken Studio grow, develop and become more resilient.
This event is a free and there are no material or post-production costs.
Tickets will be published on Leeds Inspired with a limitation on the number of tickets available per order.
Access to the event space is at street level.
The venue is within walking distance of Leeds city centre, it’s easily accessed by road and public transport. Duke Studios doesn’t have any dedicated parking, but there is pay and display parking on the surrounding streets (Sheaf Street, Cudbear Street, Hunslet Road).